Saturday, July 12, 2008

Adultery?

I’m not so sure I am all that different from Hester Prynne, the adulteress in Nathaniel Hawthorn’s 1850’s novel, The Scarlet Letter. Her life held far more sorrow, grief and complexity than mine yet I feel a connection that I can’t easily dismiss. What we remember most about the story is that she committed adultery and for her sin she was forced to wear a scarlet letter “A” on her chest, telling the world of her infidelity. She was shunned and publicly ostracized. My connection to her is this: I, too, have been unfaithful. I have been a thief, a liar and cheated the One who loves me most. My devotion and affection for Him seemingly ebbs more than it flows. And I tend to give my "first fruits" (my best) to someone other than Him. I take what I want from our relationship, give only what I want to give, all the while expecting Him to be faithful to me, do things for me, bless and protect me. Is this an attitude that stems from a genuine relationship with the Lord? Most of us would agree that it isn’t and in the same breath say,” but that isn’t adultery”. I challenge you to define adultery and then look at your own relationship with the Lord. (Yikes, I know!)

I once read a quote by John Piper that said something to the affect of:
True relationship is not looking to see what you can get out of it. A relationship must be one that is rooted in something first, namely, a delight in the beauty and excellency of God’s character.

Do we know God, really? Or do we only know what He did for us? (not that I am discounting His immeasurable acts of love for us, not at all!) Another way to think about this question: Do we put more value on the gift than on that of the Giver? I think how we answer these questions will determine if we, as Christians, are really all that different from the rest of the world. We can’t put our hope into the Lord and His promises and then live like the world: depending on money, material things, prestige, etc. This would be robbing our Bridegroom the opportunity to glorify Himself in and through our lives.

True contentment comes from faithfulness. Which in short means that we're spending time with Him, that we're in relationship with Him. God often doesn't seem tangible to us, which makes it easy to neglect Him or call on Him only when we need Him. However, the more time I spend getting to know Him (through His Word and prayer), the easier He is to see all around me. God doesn't play hide and seek with us. I believe He always makes Himself easy to find!

I desire to know my Savior far more intimately that I do. I want to live a life pleasing to Him, honoring Him, giving Him the glory that is due His name and His name alone. I am convinced that it is not enough to simply know about him and then live my life however I please. That is not a relationship. That is stealing the most valuable gift from our Beloved who has given us so much more than we deserve.

To say I am grateful that Christ bore my scarlet letter isn’t enough. It just isn’t enough.


"The way we live and the decisions we make are most influenced by the condition of our hearts." Dave Foran (Exec. Director, bible.org)

No comments: