Saturday, December 27, 2008

Is Truth Subjective?

My family, extended as well as immediate, is complied of a variety of religious beliefs as well as varying degrees within the same belief. We’ve got the Catholics, the Baptists, the Methodists, and the “holy-Rollers”. Then we have Agnostics, who believe there is no God and New Agers, who see God in everything and everyone. And recently the Mormon religion has had an influence on part of my family. There are so many beliefs within one family that anyone looking our way, trying to make heads or tails of what is truth would be gravely disappointed. Over the years I have heard people refer to the way they live and believe morally as “their truth”. Their truth, my truth…Isn’t truth just truth? Is it really something, like beauty; that is held within the eye of the beholder?

If you don’t believe the Bible is infallible, what or whom do you base your beliefs? Is there any one constant, other than God, to which truth can be based? How have you proven God to be non-existent? How have other’s influenced “your truths”?

As children, we take our parent’s word as truth. Their beliefs become our beliefs. I followed my parent’s model into Christianity from early on, but as I grew I needed to dissect those beliefs. I needed to go back to the basics, stripping away other’s influences, other’s interpretations and ask myself if I really believe what I read. Honestly, some things I read seemed extremely far-fetched. Some things scared me to death and others made my heart race with anticipation to know the God I was reading about. In the end, I had to ask myself, do I believe this book to be true? And by faith, (this is huge!!!) as a grown woman outside my parent’s influence and outside the church's influence, I embraced God as truth. I know you’re asking, “her truth?” At the risk of coming across legalistic, No, truth period.

Every person comes to their own conclusion for what they choose to believe, choose to worship, choose to have faith in and dedicate their lives to. Not everyone will choose the same route. But truth is truth. Half truths are all over the place. They tell you what you want to hear. They’re glamorous and exciting.

We’ve all told a story, given an account of something, but left out parts to make it sound more interesting or in hopes to be accepted. We leave out parts that are not so popular, or parts that may paint us in a negative light. Deep down we know we’re not telling the whole story. In a very real sense we have not told the truth. Truth is truth. It is the whole story: the parts that seem far-fetched, the parts that scare us as well as the beautiful parts. God wanted us to have the whole truth, that’s why the Bible is a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Accept it, don’t accept it: your choice. But don’t tell me there isn’t one truth. That’s like saying a white lie isn’t really a lie. Buck up, do the work. Dissect the Bible, ponder for yourself.

No comments: