Saturday, February 21, 2009

Clarity Verses Trust

The following is an excerpt from the book, Ruthless Trust written by Bennan Manning. I share this lengthy excerpt because it resounded with me so deeply, reaching the vary point of my spiritual struggle. I read these words this morning and have been in awe at their insight. I pray they cause you to ponder as well, that your eyes may be enlightened and you will find encouragement for your soul.

Carving clarity, we attempt to eliminate the risk of trusting God. Fear of the unknown path stretching ahead of us destroys childlike trust in the Father's active goodness and unrestricted love.

We often presume that trust will dispel the confusion, illuminate the darkness, vanquish the uncertainty, and redeem the times. But the crowd of witnesses in Hebrews 11 testifies that this is not the case. Our trust does not bring final clarity on this earth. It does not still the chaos or dull the pain or provide a crutch. When all else is unclear, the heart of trust says, as Jesus did on the cross, "Into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)

If we could free ourselves from the temptation to make faith a mindless assent to a dusty pawnshop of doctrinal beliefs, we would discover with alarm that the essence of biblical faith lies in trusting God. And, as Marcus Borg has noted, "The first is a matter of the head, the second is a matter of the heart. The first can leave us unchanged, the second intrinsically brings change."

The faith that animates the Christian community is less a matter of believing in the existence of God than a practical trust in his loving care under whatever pressure. The stakes here are enormous, for I have not said in my heart, "God exists," until I have said, "I trust you."

The first assertion is rational, abstract, a matter perhaps of natural theology, the mind laboring at it's logic. The second is "communion, bread on the tongue from an unseen hand." Against insurmountable obstacles and without a clue as to the outcome, the trusting heart says, "Abba, I surrender my will and my life to you without any reservation and with boundless confidence, for you are my loving Father. (Pg. 6,7)

No comments: