Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wasted No More

The truth is the majority of people are wasting their lives. And I admit I have wasted most of mine. We spend time looking for fulfillment in an array of ways only to realize we put our hope into the wrong thing…again. The new job, the new friend or new car or home may bring a temporary happiness, which many, perhaps most, misconstrue as fulfillment… but happiness is not the same thing as fulfillment. Happiness fades, true fulfillment doesn’t.

My Dad was a man who lived humbly. He was a dairy farmer for the first half of his life, then a custodian. He didn’t care about worldly possessions, but the ones he had he counted as blessings…gifts from the Lord and would have readily given them up to help someone in need. To the world looking in, he would appear to be a regular Joe, a man who perhaps didn’t achieve as the world pressures. He did not chase after the mighty dollar; he did not seek after prestigious positions, or dress to impress. He was meek, dedicated to his work, devoted to his family and friends and eagerly looked forward to helping others. He longed for little and gave everything. He was humble. He was sacrificial. He was fulfilled. He did not live to the world’s standards and it didn’t bother him for he did not strive to look like the world.

At his memorial service this week, where over 450 people attended, I heard countless stories of how my Dad touched their lives in remarkable ways…mostly through his attitude and his servant hood. As someone who knew his heart well, I can say I believe he had the right idea about life for he was a man fulfilled, longing to bring glory to Jesus in everything he did. He did not waste a single day…not one! If my Dad were to read these words, he would shake his head and with tears in his eyes say, “No Beloved, I have barely scratched the surface of living a life worthy of the calling”. “The calling” that he would refer to is a life basked in the hope of Jesus.

As I have spent much time reflecting these past weeks since my Dad passed away, I have been reminded that life is not about mastering or attaining many things, like the world reflects; it is about being mastered by one great thing! My Dad’s life counted for something eternally…I want to be consumed by that same fire and not waste another second of my life!

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind” Matthew 22: 37

I love you Dad and am hugging you in my heart...forever!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Beautiful, Friend. I love you!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful reminder to us all Karyn and a beautiful tribute to your dad.