Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yellow Roses

One year ago today as the warm sunshine poured through the large windows of room 335, I laid next to my Daddy in his hospital bed kissing his cheeks, his hands, his forehead… a million times over, embracing a precious memory with each kiss, saying good bye, I’m sorry, and thank you with each remembered story. Though my mind has been swept over with these memories as of late, I do not write this morning from a place of sorrow so much as I write from a place of gratitude. Just a few thoughts and memories...

I kissed and nuzzled his cheeks a million times that day, feeling as though I couldn’t stop, not wanting that kiss to be the last one I ever gave him. His cheeks were rough despite hospice’s attempt to shave him. I found it endearing however, as my mind wandered to the days when I would sit on the bathroom counter and watch him shave when he’d come in the house from a long day of milking or working in his yard. I always loved watching this ritual. Still, to this day I can see him shaving two or three strokes then rinsing the blade in a sink of warm, sudsy water. I can still hear the tap, tap of the blade against the side of the sink and smell the distinct fragrance of his shaving cream. He sure got mad when I’d steal it to shave my legs as a teenager. I can still hear his voice as he’d yell from the bottom of the stairs, “Karyn Lee…bring it down here”. He didn’t even have to clarify what “it” was. We both knew.

His shaving cream wasn’t the only thing I would “steal” from him. To this day, nearly 20 years living outside my parent’s home, I have a reputation for stealing Dad’s flannel shirts. It didn’t matter if they were the “good flannel shirts” or ones he wore for milking or yard work. I just adored them and everyone knew it. Often, I would hear my name being called from the bottom of the stairs but it had a different ring to it. He wasn’t mad, like he was with the shaving cream. It was more like “I’m flattered, but honey, you gotta stop doing this”. Once he called me, a year or so after I had moved out and gotten married to ask if I had stolen his new flannel shirt! I didn’t…honestly… but still to this day, I cannot live down the fact that I would take his shirts and make them my own. In fact, my youngest niece calls me, “Aunt Flannel”, which makes me laugh because I only wear flannel shirts when I garden. I guess I still want to be just like my dad. I don’t have any of his shirts now and that crushes me. There was just something about his shirts that no one else, not even my dear husband's shirts have. I guess I felt safe wrapped up in his over sized shirts, close to him somehow. Sure wish I had stolen just one more.


I held one of his hands almost the whole day, kissed every finger, traced the lines, and winced at his countless scars. I love those big, rough, and calloused hands. I always have. They spoke volumes about the kind of man he was, as his hands were strong, able, learning, giving, sacrificial, loving hands. I still recall what it felt like to hold his hands, to have him give that little extra squeeze right before he’d let go. His hands engulfed my hand and I loved it. I always felt like his little girl when I held his hand…even when I was all grown up and had children of my own. I miss holding his hands, praying with him, and working alongside him. He taught me everything with those hands.


One of his absolute loves was working in his yard. He had an amazing gift that dazzled people who would pass by. Though, like a true gardener, we never call it “work”, for it is something that feeds the soul in a way that nothing else does. I had the privilege to have my hands in his yard this week, to pull his weeds, to prune his Rhodies, edge his flowerbeds... The most difficult thing for me to touch were his roses…yellow, vibrant roses…these were his pride and joy. I saved them for last. And wept as I breathed deeply the sweetest scent…a scent I didn’t realize I associate with my dad no matter where I smell it. On my knees already, I buried my nose into the spent pedals I’d just pruned and allowed the Lord to wash over me, to touch me with his tender grace once again. His mercy touched my brokenness and I knew I was safe and loved completely even without the touch of my dad’s hand or being wrapped in an oversized flannel. My Heavenly Father swooped down and held this broken heart of mine and reminded me of words I had read just that morning, “However serious we believe Good Friday is, we are confident that Easter Sunday lies ahead of us.” Meaning, that no matter what disappointments, frustrations, hurts, injustices, or loss come our way because of our faith, our hope in Christ, we believe Easter Sunday—the day of Jesus’ resurrection—and the fulfilling of His promise-- is right around the corner. Christ did not promise an easy, painless life. He did promise however, that Heaven would conquer them in the end (Easter Sunday). Death will be overturned and the fragrance of yellow roses will fill the air, I am just sure of that!


My Dad’s heart desire was to meet Jesus…he spoke often of this desire and believed as my favorite author, Brennan Manning, does that “Death is not the ultimate, but rather the final breakthrough into the waiting, outstretched arms of the Father.” He could not wait to see Jesus face to face. I often picture my dad on his knees before the emerald throne singing, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty” with tears of great joy streaming down his cheeks and with a heart that swells with such love, such gratitude. I miss him terribly but know Easter Sunday will come for me too and I will one day run through heaven’s gates. I will embrace my Lord, my God first, but then I am hugging my Daddy! Until that day, I am hugging him in my heart.

3 comments:

b-c koster said...

Karen, -Thank you so much for those well written words. Your dad is in our thoughts greatly today.
I was on my break time at work, and thought I'd get on Cathys facebook page, and there I saw "Yellow Roses". I could hardly read it through. I was very touched.
What a great brother he was! what a great example to his kids, and grandchildren; and most of all, what a lasting Godly legacy he has left behind,as I see that in you, Kelly, Joel.
God bless you all!
Love,

Uncle Bill

Unknown said...

Your daddy was a hero and a one of kind guy - He love you kids so very much and loved those grandkiddies even more I think - but I got the best of his love and I had the best!!!! I think I still have a flannel shirt in the closet just for you - it's not been washed and smells like daddy - you are more than welcomed to have it and he would be honored to allow you to have it now!!! I promise he wouldn't object -
Love ~ Mom

Buttercup said...

My Dad's legacy was, without a doubt, a gift...a gift which he accepted and was obedient to live out not just in words but in action! He was love personified. Mom, you can bet I will take one of dad's flannels (I didn't know you had any left) and I will do my best to carry out his legacy wearing it!!! The thought makes me bawl still like a baby for I miss him with all my heart! Thank you for allowing me to write about him in such an open forum. I love you to the moon and back Momma.