Sunday, September 7, 2008

Glimmers of Glory

The flight from Portland to San Francisco, felt as if it had been a prearranged meeting with the Lord. It was as though I was given a personal invitation to witness not just through sight but through heart and soul a precious portion of the Lord’s vary nature. I sat near the window and didn’t dare look away for fear of missing an ounce of the radiance in which the sky beheld that morning. The sky as I have never seen it before brought tears to my eyes, a lump to my throat and a deep peace within my heart. My mind imagined wrapping my arms around such glory, snuggling in, allowing myself to be loved so fully and loving the Lord back to the full extent of this human heart. Witnessing His provision though the bountiful fields to the softness of the silvery clouds and everything in between, my heart, without a doubt, had been touched by a glimmer of God’s glory. Only He can do to my heart what no one else can!

I’ve been home from this trip (a trip to celebrate 15 years of marriage!) for a few weeks now and constantly evaluate the sky, looking for that same radiance…hoping if I see it again it will be etched into my mind and I won’t ever forget the experience of those minuets spent with the Lord. I haven’t seen it the way I did before. It could be because I am not 41,000 feet in the air or it could be because it was a one-time deal. I believe the Lord gives us glimmers of His glory all the time. Perhaps instead of showing us the same part of Him time after time, He shows us lots of “little” breath taking portions in a variety of ways to help us better understand His character. Maybe we need to ask ourselves: Do we see Him in our everyday? He’s there whether or not we see and feel Him.

My day to day is spent inside the walls of an elementary school working with autistic children. I love the challenge of showing these children love and acceptance for who they are in a way in which they understand (in addition to basic academic goals and social skills). It is different for each child. It maybe different each day for the same child. Some days I see the sparkle in their eye and I realize they get it! They understand! These are the days I live for. These are the days that I drive home in tears of joy and share with anyone willing to listen!

I wonder if God works much the same way. I wonder if He uses scenery to teach us about His vastness, words or phrases that make us think deeply, people to resemble something we haven’t yet seen of Him, music with lyrics that stick not just to our minds but to our hearts as well. I wonder if he sits back and smiles a simple smile as his eyes fill with tears and love beats rapidly within His heart when He sees that sparkle in our eye, when we’ve been taken with His love, captured by it and awed. A glimmer taken captive by our hearts!

Don’t you anticipate what He’s going to reveal to you next? My heart just can’t wait to meet Him again tomorrow as He shows me something else about Who He is to me!

No comments: