Sunday, October 12, 2008

One Word!

I was offered a job this week at another school. Better hours, 50% more money, working in the same field but focused in the area I love most. And to top it off, I wasn’t even looking for another job. I was referred by a respected colleague, which stroked my ego a hair beyond what could be considered healthy. I was ecstatic and full of pride for about 30 seconds. That’s about how long it took me to rattle off in a single breath all the details to my husband. The job was perfect in every way. It also was my “out” of a very challenging situation where I currently work. Then my Beloved, who posses more wisdom than I asked IT. “Have you prayed about it yet?” Uuuughhhh! Deep sigh, “no, I wanted to tell you first.” In an instant, my heart took a long, hard plunge. I was grieved by my sin of putting others before God and seeking out man’s approval over His. I struggle with this more times than I care to admit.

I was headed out the door to a parents meeting and found myself thrilled for the silent drive back to school. I love this drive along a winding, tree-lined road. I find I am consistently pulled into God’s arms on this drive. This night was no exception. I began to pray about the job situation but before I finished, I heard Him say one word. (Not audibly, although wouldn’t that be a treat!) The word was “Ministry”. I didn’t have to ask to whom I was supposed to be ministering. I knew. I couldn’t hold back the tears as I told Him He was right. I knew it from the beginning. I had just got caught up in my pride and in earthly things.

Some of the parents of my students had already arrived for our meeting when I walked in the door. Unknowingly, my mascara had left evidence of tears shed and caused one Mom to question me. All I could say was, “I love these kids”. They are my mission field. The next day, this same woman sent in a note with her son that said, “You are such a blessing to our family, you have no idea. We pray for you and your family every night that He will provide your every need.” I hadn’t shared about the job and have been careful in the public school setting to witness more through my actions than my words. The Lord used this woman to minister to me and in case I didn’t get His message clearly the night before, He used her to confirm that I am to stay right where I am.


I truly cherish that He adores me so, cares for my every need, and talks to me. How I long to be more like Him and reflect back to Him the love He graces me with every single day!

No comments: